Veteran Disability Compensation Benefits Information

Veteran disability compensation (US Code Title 38 Chapter 11) is a tax-free benefit paid to a veteran for disabilities that are a result of or made worse by injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, active duty for training, or certain inactive duty training.

Disability compensation is also paid to certain Veterans disabled from VA health care.

If the VA finds that you are disabled due to service-connected conditions, you will receive a ‘disability rating’. Depending upon your rating, you may be eligible for additional benefits:

Disabled Veterans
  • Priority Medical Care
  • Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Clothing Allowance
  • Grants for Specially Adapted Housing
  • Automobile Grant & Adaptive Equipment
  • Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance
  • Federal Employment Preference
  • State/Local Veterans Benefits
  • Military Exchange & Commissary Privileges

Who Is Eligible for Veteran Disability Compensation?

You may be eligible for Veteran disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The amount of basic benefit paid for Veteran Disability Compensation depends on how disabled you are, and whether or not you have any dependents.

Special Monthly Compensation

You may be paid additional amounts, in certain instances, if:

  • you have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s)
  • you have a seriously disabled spouse

How Can You Apply?

Apply VA DisabilityWe strongly recommend that you enlist the services of a Veteran Service Officer before you submit your application for Veteran Disability Compensation. They will review your application, helping ensure it has all the information the VA requires.

In addition, they may be able to tell you about other benefits for which you are eligible. If you do not have a VSO yet, the NVF will help you find one. Simply call us at 888-777-4443.

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation and/or Pension. If you have any of the following material, please attach it to your application:

  • Discharge or separation papers (DD214 or equivalent)
  • Dependency records (marriage & children's birth certificates)
  • Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports)

You can also use the VA's online application. The VA's benefits hotline number is 1-800-827-1000.