Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation

Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation (US Code Title 38 Chapter 13) is an income dependent monthly benefit paid to eligible surviving parents of certain veterans.

Parents Dependency Indemnity CompensationParents eligible for DIC may also be qualified for the Aid and Attendance supplement. This supplement is paid in addition to the base payment, and provide a small additional income for persons who either need daily assistance with everyday living tasks or reside in an assisted living facilty.

Compensation Rates for Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation

The total monthly compensation for Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation (click here for current rate tables) will depend upon a variety of factors, such as whether or not the claiming parent lives with their spouse, any Aid and Attendance supplement paid, and the parent's income (a spouse's income is counted for the purpose of determining the benefit level). For example, a parent living with their spouse with a monthly income of $1353 would have received $345 per month in 2008. The parent must report all income to the VA, along with any offsetting medical expenses. The VA will use a formula set by law to determine the benefit level for which the parent will be eligible. (38 CFR § 3.251, 3.260, 3.261, 3.262)

Eligibility Criteria

A natural, adoptive or foster parent (38 CFR § 3.59) of a military service member can be eligible for DIC if the service member died of:

  • a disease or injury incurred or aggravated while on active duty or active duty for training, OR
  • an injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty while on inactive duty for training, OR a service-connected disability.

A parent can be eligible for Aid and Attendance if he/she is eligible for Parents DIC and is:

  • A patient in a nursing home, or
  • Helpless or blind, or so nearly helpless or blind as to need or require the regular aid and attendance of another person.

How to Apply for Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation

parents dependency indemnity compensationThe NVF strongly recommends that you seek out the assistance of a Veteran Service Officer when filing a Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation claim. The VSO will assist you in filling out the paperwork, gathering the required documentation, and tracking the status of the claim at no cost. Most Veterans Organizations, like the VFW, American Legion, Order of the Purple Heart, etc. have VSOs. The veterans affairs departments for each state also have Veteran Service Officers. If you would like some assistance in finding a VSO near you, please call us at 888 777-4443.

You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-535 Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by Parent(s). Attach the following material:

  • Discharge or separation papers for the veteran (DD214 or equivalent, click here to apply for a replacement DD214)
  • Dependency records (birth or adoption certificate, or VA Form 21-524 to verify foster parent status)
  • Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports) if applying for Aid and Attendance

Mail the application for Parents Dependency Indemnity Compensation to the VA Regional Office responsible for the area in which you live. You can find the correct Regional Office here.

The VA's benefits hotline number is 1-800-827-1000.