GI Bill Selected Reserve Benefits for Education & Training

What Is the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve?

GI Bill Selected ReserveThe Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

It is the first program that doesn't require a person to serve on active duty in the regular Armed Forces to qualify.

An eligible reservist may get education benefits while in a program approved for VA training. Program funds can be used for:

  • degree programs (including graduate level courses)
  • certificate or correspondence courses
  • cooperative training
  • independent study programs
  • apprenticeship/on-the-job training
  • vocational flight training programs (in some cases)
  • remedial, refresher and deficiency training are available under certain circumstances

You should verify with the school that the particular program you are interested in is VA approved.

Who Is Eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve?

You may be considered an eligible reservist or National Guard member if:

  • after June 30, 1985, you signed a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve, AND
  • you completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT), AND
  • you got your High School Diploma or GED before you completed your IADT, AND
  • you are in good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit

If you stay in the Selected Reserves, GI Bill Selected Reserve benefits generally end 10 years from the date you became eligible for the program if you became eligible before October 1, 1992. Benefits generally end 14 years from the date you became eligible if you became eligible on or after October 1, 1992. Your period of eligibility may be extended, if you were unable to train because of a service-related disability. Typically, your eligibility ends when you leave the Selected Reserves.

Note: If you are an officer in the Selected Reserve OR if you entered active duty from the Selected Reserve after November 29, 1989, call the toll-free number below for additional eligibility requirements.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training. If you are attending school, your payment is based on your training time; that is, full time, half time, etc. (current payment rates).

How Can You Apply?

Apply GI BillWe strongly recommend that you enlist the services of a Veteran Service Officer before you submit your application. They will review your application, helping ensure it has all the information the VA requires. If you do not have a VSO yet, the NVF will help you find one. Simply call us at 888-777-4443.

The first step towards receiving your GI Bill Selected Reserve benefits is to apply for a "Notice of Basic Eligibility", or NOBE (DD Form 2384-1) through your unit. If your application is approved, the Education Office will send you the NOBE. Once you select a school and program, check with the VA to see if the school is approved. Inform the VA official that you are entitled to MGIB-SR benefits. Also, check with your school to see if the program is approved. Next, complete an "Application for Educational Benefits" form, or VA Form 22-1990. You will not have a VA folder established, nor receive any payment until the VA receives your VA Form 22-1990.

If you have already started school, take your application and NOBE to your school and present them to the VA certifying official or person designated to handle VA paperwork. Ask the certifying official to complete VA Form 22-1999, "Enrollment Certification" for you and send all forms to the VA.

If you not currently attending school, mail your completed form VA Form 22-1990 and your original NOBE to the VA Western Regional Office, P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee, Oklahoma 74402-8888. You can also apply online through the VA's web site at If you are found eligible for GI Bill Selected Reserve benefits, you will receive a "Certificate of Eligibility". After you have submitted your VA 22-1990 and your NOBE directly to the VA Regional Office, or to a school official, you should receive a written reply within 45 days. If you do not receive a written reply, call the Veterans Services Division at your VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000.

If the VA representative informs you that there is a problem with your GI Bill Selected Reserve eligibility on the DOD screen, notify your Unit Administrator immediately. If the VA representative informs you that the school hasn’t verified your enrollment, contact the school official responsible for processing VA paperwork and ask them to submit your "Enrollment Certification," VA Form 22-1999.

Benefits related to the GI Bill Selected Reserve

  • Work-Study Program
  • Tutorial Assistance
  • Educational and Vocational Counseling