Getting a Veteran ID Card from the VA, State Agencies or DoD

Getting a Veteran ID Card from Different Entities

Department of Defense Common Access Card

If you're eligible for a DoD card we probably don't have to tell you how to get replacements or cards for your dependents. We'll just give you the link.

Department of Veteran Affairs ID

There are two IDs available from the DVA. The first is the Veteran Health ID Card (VHIC) and is only issued to veterans who enroll for health care from the VA. You can enroll by submitting an annual application and occasionally having a short physical. Many people who maintain their VA eligibility still use their regular insurance or Medicare (and doctor) for their routine healthcare.

We cover what you'll need to know to enroll on our Veteran's Health Care page. If you have more questions you can reach us at 888 777-4443 Monday through Friday, from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM Pacific time.

The second ID card is available to veterans who do not qualify for or do not wish to enroll in the veteran health care system. Visit to confirm your veteran status and request the Veteran ID. There is no charge for this card, and while it is official proof of your veteran status it is not proof of eligibility for any VA benefits.

State Verified Veteran Status

Many of the various State governments have stepped in and provided a logo on their Driver's and ID cards that will verify your veteran status and act as a Veteran ID card. The logo won't be accepted as legal proof of eligibility for Veteran's benefits, but just about any business that offers discounts will honor it. You can contact your State's department that issues driver's licenses for more information, or give us a call (888 777-4443) and we'll look it up for you.